DR. ALKA SEHGAL
DEPARTMENT OF ELEMENTARY EDUCATION
Dr. Alka Sehgal is an Associate Professor in the Department of Education.
A Ph.D in Education from Faculty of Education , Delhi University, her area of doctoral research focused on developing a conceptual framework of school excellence
Dr Sehgal has 16 years of teaching and research experience. Her research and teaching areas include policy research , management of education ,sociological and philosophical aspects of education and teacher education.
Having successfully completed a major research project funded by Innovation Programs, University of Delhi,in 2012-13 - she has been awarded another project for the year 2013-14.
Member ,Managing Committee ,Delhi Public School
Besides supervising research projects under Sir Rattan Tata Fellowship ,USRN ,Delhi University she has developed curriculum and conducted workshops for teachers and administrators for SCERTs and DIETS. She has also developed a proposal for a post graduate program on Education Leadership at higher education.
Dr. Sehgal started her career as Program Officer with an internationally funded NGO for 5 years. She was in-charge of comprehensive school improvement program which included curriculum development, preservice and inservice training of administrators , teachers and parents of government and private schools.
Qualifications: M.A, Ph.D.
Publications and Awards:
Dr Sehgal has delivered international research seminars at CIEP, Paris and Lycee St John Perse, Pau,France and Garden Suburb school, London. She has been a resource person for Faculty Development Programs organized by CPDHE, Delhi University and various privately managed schools in Delhi.
- Granted following research projects by Delhi University under the Innovation programs:
a) *A cultural and contextual understanding of resilience and the role of voluntary organizations in its development: a study of marginalized urban girls in Delhi.,2012-13
The project has been selected for collaboration with University of Michigan,USA, with three students from UM participating on a virtual basis followed by a visit this year.
- Appointed as a member on the 5 member core committee to review BElEd programme by the BElEd Coordination Committee - a standing committee of Faculty of Education ,Delhi University in 2012-13
- Appointed Co-Convener of Combined Entrance Examination for BElEd, Delhi University in 2011.
- Appointed Supervisor to an in-service teacher research under RRCEE Teacher Fellowship,( funded by Sir Dorabji Tata Trust) Delhi University in 2011-12.
- Member of the Committee of Curriculum renewal of pre-service Elementary Teacher Education program offered by District Institute of Education Training (DIET), State Council for Education, Research and Training (SCERT).Designed curriculum for practicum including internship in 2011-12.Subsequently conducted several workshops to orient Principals and Teachers of DIETs.
- Convened a committee to develop a proposal for Post Graduate Diploma in Education Leadership for college teachers and principals .It has been sent to University Grants Commission for approval under innovative programs scheme in 2009.
- Acted as discussant in panel discussion on “multiculturalism in education conflict in classroom” organized at India International Centre, New Delhi in 2008.
- Acted as resource person in the leadership programme for new school principals organised by SCERT, New Delhi in the area of leadership, communication and interpersonal relationship in 2008,2009
- Acted as resource person for the Orientation Programme by Centre for Professional Development in Higher Education (CPDHE) to deliver a lecture on "Internal Assessment-Critical Issues", in December 2006.
- Presented a paper entitled, Challenges and Issues in Teacher Education in India, at the International Seminar on ;Recruitment of Teachers ,organised by Le Centre International detudes Pedagogigues - CIEP, Paris, France from 11 to 15 June2007.
- Acted as Chairperson to a session on "The Dimensions of Development an Elementary School Teacher”; in a Seminar on Elementary Teacher Education Curriculum: Issues and Concerns; organised by MACESE, CIE in May 2005
- Acted as resource person in the programme for “new school principals” Organized by State Council for Education Research and Training- SCERT, New Delhi in the areas of planning, collaboration and communication, in 2001, 2002
- Sehgal, A, Mukhopadhayay,R & Sr. (Dr.) Rosily TL. (Ed.). (2015). Inclusion: Rainbow or Chaos. New Delhi: Pinnacle Learning
- Sehgal, A, Mukhopadhayay,R & Sr. (Dr.) Rosily TL. (2015). Understanding Resilience of Socially Disadvantage Group: Inclusions in the Formal School System. The Delhi University Journal of Undergraduate Research and Innovation. Volume 1, Issue 2. ISSN 2395 – 2334